Epidemiology builds the methodological base for the dynamics of population health in the society. Also gives basic tools for conducting population-based health research.
The learning process aims at skills for the student to:
- Understand the applicability of epidemiology in various fields of studies in health and its determinants, whether they are biological, behavioral, social or cultural
- Critically evaluate epidemiologic and other public health research papers and statistics;
- Use population health data to set up priorities, and formulate policy options
- Independently plan an epidemiologic study and prepare a research proposal;
After successfully completing to module the student will be able to read and comment epidemiologic literature and research articles and understand the basic methods of epidemiologic study design and analysis;
Indpendently obtain health-related information from national and international electronic databases;
Be in a better position in applying for future research funding etc.
Contents of The Programme
- A module of 25 ECTS, 8 separate courses and a wrap-up week, from September to May.
- Introduction to epidemiology
- Epidemiology and health care
- Nutritional epidemiology
- Environmental epidemiology
- Social epidemiology
- Occupational epidemiology
- Infectious Disease Epidemiology
Moodle courses, including video lectures and online assignments, independent reading from online material. Online learning 90 % , one week contact period towards the end of the academic year. Basic biostatistics Contact week/course work
The Epidemiology module belongs to the oldest and most established among the very few public health programs in Finnish universities (the full MPH degree). Larger MPH-diploma program (1-1.5 years) was on market between 1993 and 2005, after which it was developed into a two-year Bologna-form Master’s program. At that point this Epidemiology module was developed and broadened to its current level.
Contact us for more information
Master’s and doctoral level students of health sciences. Professional training for healthcare professionals and administrators, academics of medicine, health sciences and related fields. European Master’s Programmes in Health Sciences (Public Health). Course can be tailored to be part of Degree studies (MPH) of a foreign university, based on contracts between universities.
Potential customers: higher education level students in health sciences, professionals, academics, instructors, administrators, researchers. Prerequisites: a minimum of BA-level degree in health-related sciences (also some other background applies: social sciences, behavioral sciences).